Wednesday, November 07, 2012

DIY Kids Costumes


I love to create new stuffs for my kids.  Like these costume they wore on their little sister's birthday last November 04, 2012.

The First costume I made out of my hand (it means that I just sew it bare-handed).

The Fairy

I really wanted her to be Tinkerbell look-a-like, however she doesn't feel like wearing just a dress she wanted to have a tutu (conservative kasi!) so I made her a tutu as well.

How to make a jumper short?
I choose my old green long sleeve shirt to be the linen I'm going to recreate as her jumper-short. The fabric is stretchable and it will hug her body perfectly. So, I get her one-piece swimsuit as a pattern  then trace it on the shirt then trimmed it. 

How to make a Tutu?
I bought a white dress net tulle on Divisoria where you can buy it Php 40 per yard. I got a garter for  Php 10/ yard and a left over ribbon I got from my arts& craft box. Just cut the Garter as what was your kid waist size and add 1/2 inch where you will sew it to put the end together. then get your fabric and cut it on knee lenght of your kid and after that fold your net tulle fabric 4-5 times( it depend on how many points you've wanted on your tutu) then cut a triangle on the lower part of your tutu. Use white thread to sew up the tutu. On the upper part of your skirt fold about an 1 1/2 inch and lay the white ribbon on over it and then sew it but before you finish sewing it get the garter and put it inside the skirt. Viola!!! you have your Tutu all you have to do is make a design. Some glitters and some beads stones will do.

How to make the Fairy wand?
All we need is the balloon stick, pink (2 inches thick) & green ribbons (1/2 thick), Some plastic flowers I picked on my Mom's vase (haha) and a glue. You just have to cut the balloon sticks on half then just swirl ribbon around the stick put some green ribbons on top and glue the flowers.

How to make a Fairy wings? 
(click here to watch the tutorial) I just got here the idea... you can use white stockings for a replacements.

And for your Fairy shoes you can buy plastic clear doll shoes...

I put some make up on my little girl's face and some sticker rhinestones to add a little bit spice on her face....

The Jester


How to make jester's neck piece?

What we need are:
  • scrap fabrics (3 different colors or more)
  • old shoelace
  • needle & thread
  • scissors
  • cardboard ( cut it on a triangle shaped as a pattern)
Fold the fabric into 2 then trace the pattern and cut it. Sew it and then reverse it on the other side. Cut a circle shape on the fabric and do a running stitch and then pull it to create a ball shaped then attached it on the end of the triangle shaped cloth. Sew it on the shoelace. Repeat it until you reached the neck piece you've wanted.

For additional Accessories:
Hand piece- to add an accent on the costume. Cut 2 rectangular shaped fabric in different color then sew it together. Cut a ring like cloth then attached it on the hand rectangular shaped.
Long Socks-  since the dress I made was not fitted as a pants I grabbed a orange-nude socks to hide the skin side.
Jester's Hat- We just bought it in StarCity for Php 150.
 How to make a jumpsuit?
I grabbed my old dress that has colorful stripped pattern, cut lower part of the dress  in semi half then sew it like a shorts.

Put some eyeliner and some drawing on his face... That's it!

The Pirate

Every kid has a pirate inside them. Since my son requested it and I don't have the budget to buy a pirate costume (too expensive and not practical for 1 use only) I have to think a better way. Let's start.

Pirate Hat-  My brother bought it in Divisoria for Php 50.

Eye-patch- if you have black scrap fabric cut a circle shaped and a lace and attached it together to make a eye-patch.

White Shirt- actually it's a baby overall jumpsuit, I just cut the pants off and VIOLA!!! I made the shirt.

Vest- I cut a rectangular-shaped then cut circular shaped on both side then that's it... put some buttons or any accessories to make it glamorous.

Red Belt-  I just cut a piece  of red fabric and sew it on reversed and attached the sword on it.

Ripped Pants- I used my son's shorts as a pattern and traced it on the black fabric. Cut it and sew it (as in serious!) Then cut the lower part of the pants triangular like it was ripped....

and finally

The Mermaid

Since the Birthday party theme is Under the Sea and so the star of the day should be a.k.a "Ariel the Mermaid" .

Red Wig - My brother bought this in Divisoria for Php 200.

Mermaid Overall Suit- My Auntie did this. She used a shimmery fabric to make this costume. Cut the fabric as a triangular shaped and put some garter to make it fitted and to have a crumpled effect. On the tail she just manage to put a hard cardboard and shaped it in a fish fin. Then just add some sequined and beads.

So there you have it!I hope I help you to bring up an idea.
Thanks for reading!

No comments: